19 Responses to “Street Addressing” Now Available For USPS P.O. Box Holders

1. danco95 on December 12, 2012 at 6:38 pm

My local Post Office in California rolled this service out a few months ago. All at no additional fees. They also included a new ‘Text to your cell phone’ if any mail is received feature. Also free. I really like this new feature. It saves me time if I have nothing to pick up. I’ve been very pleased with the street addressing service. The postmaster here allowed us/ instructed us to use “Unit” since it shows up in the official USPS database
    www.https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action?mode=0&refresh=true

So you can use; eg 405 North Main Street Unit 7562, Danville, CA 94526 (Not a real address)

Best features are texting alerts,as well as the FedEx and UPS shipping.

• K.C. Knouse on December 12, 2012 at 6:56 pm

danco95,
      Thanks for taking the time to post this comment.

2. d patrick on August 23, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I have street addressing and the service pretty much sucks. It takes at least an extra day for a package to be delivered. Waiting on one now that shows delivered at 9:15AM today but not in my box at 5:30PM.

• Aquaria on February 13, 2013 at 3:35 am

There is a slight possibility that a postal clerk made a mistake and signed off on the package as delivered when they meant to use the code for arrived or accepted. It happens.

MORE LIKELY, the FedUPS delivery dude dropped off your package at a post office at 9:15 A.M., and signed off on it as delivered. For the purposes of FedUPS, it IS delivered. When I was a USPS worker, this happened ALL THE TIME.

That doesn’t mean the box clerk has your mail before s/he goes home for the day (usually around noon-3 pm). S/he most likely doesn’t see it until the next morning.

Either way, parcels like yours that are received after X a.m. aren’t pitched until the following morning, because the parcels clerks would be there all day pitching them (and are) and carriers would never get out the door, otherwise. So anything received from FedUPs and the like after that point (it varies by station) waits until the next morning. Sometimes, the clerks pitch it before they go home, if they have time. Usually, they don’t. Sometimes the box clerk checks for parcels that might have been pitched, if there’s time. Usually, there isn’t.

I know it will shock you, but there is OTHER mail than your one package that needs their attention.

Really.

• K.C. Knouse on February 13, 2013 at 8:14 am

Thank you for your input, Aquaria. You helped me understand the one day lag time from package service delivery to post office pick up. Urgent deliveries should be routed to a physical street address rather than the P.O. Box street address to eliminate this lag time.

3. prettygirl on July 16, 2012 at 6:37 pm

So do I use the postoffice zipcode or the P.O box zipcode. They have different zipcodes

• K.C. Knouse on July 17, 2012 at 3:38 am

The documentation I received from my post office indicated that I should use the post office BOX zip code.

4. [...] holders to be listed with the street address where the P.O. box is located. See articles here and here. The business must fill out a special form to make this change, but early tests indicate that such [...]

5. [...] holders to be listed with the street address where the P.O. box is located. See articles here and here. The business must fill out a special form to make this change, but early tests indicate that such [...]

6. Reach Out Google on June 29, 2012 at 7:14 am

[...] This will look to the recipients as an office address rather than a PO Box which could allow businesses to be listed on Google+ Local and Google Maps.It also solves some of the continuity issues with commercial box locations, but  many problems are still unresolved as this article explains. [...]

7. Robert Coscia on May 15, 2012 at 10:21 am

My local post office says they do not participate in the street address program, is that possible? Please email me back as I will never find this thread again.
    Thanks.

8. Jack on February 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Would you believe I *WORK* for the Post Office and had to google for this information?!

9. Chris on February 16, 2012 at 9:57 am

So I had my first UPS package delivered. I have the delivery confirmation signed by the Post Office Supervisor (Wade). But the Post Office says they don’t have it. They say I need a USPS tracking number for them to look for it. UPS says they did not deliver it through the Postal Service, so they don’t have one. So UPS says it was delivered and the USPS says they don’t have it. WOW, that worked great!

• K.C. Knouse on February 16, 2012 at 11:00 am

Thank you for sharing your experience. I decided to forego street addressing since my P.O. Box number is six digits and I rarely receive shipments. My understanding is that the USPS would either place the UPS parcel in a lock box and put the key to the lock box in your P.O. Box or they would place a notice in your P.O. Box that you had received a UPS delivery. Apparently this didn’t happen at your local post office. Possibly, the local office isn’t yet up to speed on how to handle deliveries from private carriers. I know at my post office, no one knew anything about street addressing when I inquired, although they did manage to find the forms.

10. Robert on February 13, 2012 at 8:21 am

Good article but with some omissions:
    * The form you must sign clearly states that the # must be preceded and followed by a space.
    In attempting to use this addressing, I also found the following:
    * Some web pages do not allow the use of a # in the address field.
    * Some web pages do not have a enough room to add the additional street addressing information to the address field.
    * Some web pages will automatically fill in (and require) the extended zip of the physical PO and will not allow use of the PO Box number for the extended zip. My PO told me that using the extended zip of the physical PO was OK. (In fact, if I was driving a FedEx or UPS truck, the extended zip of the PO location might be more important. So, that is the extended zip I will be using.)

Before implementing this, check the other systems you use, as you may run into a snag.

• K.C. Knouse on February 13, 2012 at 11:33 am

Robert, thanks for the additional information. Very helpful.

• JP on February 22, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I have the US Post Office’s form (“Customer Agreement for PO Box Services”) right in front of me. I have read it carefully and it does NOT say that the # must be preceeded and followed by a space. “For example, if a Post Office is located on 500 Main Street and you have PO Box 59, your mail would be addressed to 500 Main Street #59. You will also be able to use the street address to receive most packages and deliveries through private carriers”.

• Robert on February 29, 2012 at 8:59 am

‘Space # space’ may not be on the form, but it is standard postal addressing policy. See: http://pe.usps.com/text/pub28/pub28c2.html .
        In explaining my problems with the # to my local PO, they said they don’t care if the address contains a #, Apt., or Suite, but your PO may tell you something different. I was not aware that I was a ‘guinea pig’ for their implementation. The story they told me was that the FedEx employee walked into the PO and said, ‘This is not a home!’ (because of the H on the package). The clerk told him that if he had a problem with it that he should, ‘take it up his chain of command, since it was decided to do this at the very top level of their organizations’. Also, note that this is a gradual implementation at only select PO’s.

• K.C. Knouse on February 29, 2012 at 10:36 am

Thank you sharing your experience.